Go Vertical!


Are you still with me?  My life has gotten a bit chaotic in the last couple of weeks... okay, month.  Between trekking my preschooler to and from school every day and a teething toddler, it's been tough to even find time to pick up my house!  With Gretchen being on vacation, I haven't had any more "lessons" (not that I really had the time anyway).  But, rest assured, we are both back in action!   

So!  On with my apprenticeship and my tips to you as I learn the ins and outs of composing a great photograph! 

A little about me:  I am a person of routine.  I like predictability.  I like to know what I should expect and when I should expect it.  I don’t like surprises and I am generally not spontaneous.  I like to have a plan so that I know what sort of results I will get.  

But, life is not predictable.  Life is spontaneous.  Wild.  Uncertain.  And often times, I am forced out of the norm.  I must “think outside the box.”  This is good.  This is healthy.  I will admit that even if I am hesitant about making a change, it feels good to let go and be different.

Rule #4… Go vertical. Make a conscious effort to turn your camera to the vertical (or portrait) orientation occasionally. 

I LOVE horizontal photos, especially if it’s a close-up of a sweet child’s face, but, your photographs will be more interesting to look at when the orientation is switched up a bit.  And besides, there is no way that you can get your one-year old on his birthday holding his balloons without turning your camera on its side!

~sarah

 Madeleine and Alex playing while at the Como Park Conservatory.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP